What Does a Trauma-Sensitive Career Coaching or Business Consulting Relationship Look Like?
If you've experienced other coaches prior to working with me, then our coaching relationship can look a little different. Most of the reason for this is because you and I are unique people. (Plus, I don't do business like everyone else.)
The Coach (or Consultant) Relationship with Emily Ann Peterson:
- You're in the driver's seat—In our world, everything is client-directed and client-centered. You're the only one with access to your unique resources: economic, relational, emotional, practical, etc. You are the only one who knows your capacity for growth and tolerance for the discomfort that comes along with it. My job as your coach or consultant is to help you find the perfect tools to enhance, empower, and enrich all of that.
- You choose where your coach sits—Metaphorically, I can coach from wherever you'd like me to sit. This could be from the sidelines, shotgun, back seat, nosebleed section, etc. I'm not a "my way or the highway" kinda gal and I am not your guru. Of course, I'm honored to cheer, advise, guide, warn, and ease with resources. Together, I'll brainstorm endless creative ideas... But at the end of the day, you are the one in the driver's seat of your business! :-)
- You've got the steering wheel—coaching sessions are for discussing whatever area of life, career, or business you'd prefer. I'll let you know if I think a topic might be better suited for another professional (like your doctor, lawyer, or therapist), so no worries there. We can change topical directions, avoid certain areas, re-address your initial goals or modify them as needed. Just say the word and I'll be on board with it.
- You've got the gas & brake pedals—go as slow or as fast as you'd like. Do you prefer lots of homework or zero homework? Cool. Need a mid-session bio break? Awesome! Want to meet more often? As long as I've got the space in my calendar, that time can be yours. This work can happen at any speed.
- U-turns are encouraged—questions, hesitations, second-guessing, and changing your mind are a natural part of our evolution as humans. I'm totally cool with it. For instance, an idea mentioned in a session might require some adjustments or tailoring before it really feels awesome.
- There is an eject button—The coaching relationship is not permanent nor obligatory nor do I expect that one coach is a good fit for all clients at all times. At any time, if you decide to pause working together or want recommendations for another coach, just let me know. I love giving recommendations to my favorite colleagues!
- Different is good! Different is fun! I am neurodivergent and was diagnosed late in life. This is reflected in our overall approach to sessions: experimental, progressive, efficient, light-hearted, and fun! You're invited to let your flair fly!
or if any of this resonates with you or you've got more questions, click here to schedule a meet-n-greet!